Thursday, January 3, 2008

Woman, Warrior, Queen -- Elizabeth: Golden Age



It is supposed to be the sequel of the award-winning movie "Elizabeth" in 1998. But apparently they changed the scriptwriter, for the death of Queen Mary of Scottland is totally different from 1. Before I watched 2, I was quite curious about what else they wanna say about Queen Elizabeth I, after she already become the Virgin Queen. So I forgot one thing, Spanish Armade.

Actually now Armade almost becomes a delegated word for THAT Armade, the one defeated by Elizabeth. And that explains how excited I was when I reallized that this movie was about this famous battle. But later I became impatient by the tedious love story between the two Elizabeths and Walter. I could not see the "biggest fleet of the world" (forgive those people did not know Chinese fleet or Zheng He at that time) at all! Only several wooden toys floating on the water, and the cannons are even not compatible to Black Pearl, don't mention the Flying Dutchmen!
The producer of this movies seems to be very cautious not to offense the British Royal Navy, for the foundation of this navy is only slightly metaphored in this movie. But the truth is, the Royal Navy was originally built up upon some pirates fleets, with the permission from Queen Elizabeth I that all pirates that attack non-England ships would be treated as Royal Navy. Sir Walter said something actually very important to both parties of this contract -- "The more I robbed from him (Phillip, King of Spain), the better for you (Queen Elizabeth I)".
Cate is more and more Shakespear. I would rather prefer that she does not so "hard act". Other roles are just routine work, no surprise, nevertheless good or bad ones.
The costume is just like the subtitle of this movie -- shining. It will never surprise me that this movie will be nominated for this year's Best Costume Award. When Elizabeth shows off in that silver armor and riding a white horse, friend next to me could not help yelling "Joan of Arc!". Indeed, both are heroines to their native people.
The camera man has a strange fond of strange angles, through the vague reflection of a bronze mirror, from a small hole on the top, shadows of the people on the sails, etc. Why recently people like to play around with such abstract things?
For the music, again, I prefer Pirates of Carribean series.

No comments: